Adsorption kinetics of bovine serum albumin on fused silica: Population heterogeneities revealed by single-molecule fluorescence microscopy

K. C. Kwok, K. M. Yeung, Nai Ho CHEUNG*

*Corresponding author for this work

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

32 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

The adsorption of bovine serum albumin (BSA) on fused silica at neutral pH was investigated at the single-molecule level by total internal reflection fluorescence microscopy. Dye-labeled BSA molecules that adsorbed on the quartz surface lit up as discrete, fluorescent dots which eventually disappeared upon desorption. Movies of these events offered unprecedented details for kinetics modeling. The results suggested that 99.3% of the BSA was not sticky, and even if adsorbed, it would desorb in minutes. In contrast, the remaining 0.7% was not only sticky, but would anchor in due course. Such population heterogeneity, otherwise masked in ensemble measurements, sheds new light on our understanding of protein adsorption. The methodology is also generally applicable to the studies of macromolecules at interfaces.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1948-1952
Number of pages5
JournalLangmuir
Volume23
Issue number4
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 13 Feb 2007

Scopus Subject Areas

  • Materials Science(all)
  • Condensed Matter Physics
  • Surfaces and Interfaces
  • Spectroscopy
  • Electrochemistry

Fingerprint

Dive into the research topics of 'Adsorption kinetics of bovine serum albumin on fused silica: Population heterogeneities revealed by single-molecule fluorescence microscopy'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this